About this site
This site is devoted to all things dealing with fan funds involving Australia. It is intended to be an archive of everything related to Aussie-linked fan funds: ballots, voting details, administrators reports, bits from newszines and blogs saying “I’m back and the trip was fantastic…”, trip reports, and so on.
This is envisaged as being a work permanently in progress: comments, corrections, and contributions are eagerly solicited. Any offers to retype or scan material will be accepted with glee.
Please note that this site is not the official website of any Fan Fund.
WHAT’S A FAN FUND?
Fan Funds exist as a means to provide closer links between various national science fiction fandoms. They achieve this aim by providing the funds for a well-known fan from one country to attend a major science fiction convention in another country. The Funds exist solely through the financial support and generosity of fandom.
GUFF Trip Reports available to buy online now!
James Shields’ 2010 Trip Report is available here.
Gillian Polack’s 2014 Trip Report is available here.
Order both together to save on shipping.
Any Fund with an Australian connection. There are four on-going Funds:
GUFF moves people between Europe and Australia. Its current administrators are Mihaela-Marija Perkovic and Gillian Polack.
NAFF moves fans within Australia to the Australian National Convention. The current administrators are Grant Watson, Sue Ann Barber and Gina Goddard.
WHO’S RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL THIS?
The site is managed by Irwin Hirsh, who wishes to acknowledge:
- Jean Weber, who is providing webspace and significant admin support;
- Dave Langford, whose TAFF site has been an inspiration and who allowed me to re-use some of his htmled files;
- Marc Ortlieb, whose publication An Australian Compendium of Fandom was my initial reference;
- Damien Warman, with whom I bounced around some ideas;
- Perry Middlemiss, who provided me with quite a few files and who probably would’ve done something like this years ago but instead got sidetracked by some Worldcon-thingyies; and
- Janice Gelb, Edwina Harvey, Paul Kincaid, Dave Langford, Dave Locke (for the late Jackie Causgrove), Roman Orszanski, Joyce Scrivner, Alan Stewart, and Bob Tucker who have provided documents and/or ‘reprint’ permissions (though not all items are yet on the site.)
Building this site I began to notice a whole lot of useless information about Fan Funds. To share in this trivia click here.
…you may wish to make a donation to one of these funds. Fan Funds exist solely due to generosity of fandom. Any donation you may make would be gratefully appreciated and put to good use.
Alternately, you may wish to purchase an item or two that are being sold to benefit the various Funds.
DUFF’s Offical website.
The Australasian Fan Fund Live Journal.
Dave Langford’s TAFF website.
FANAC’s Fan History website.
Bill Burns’ eFanzines website.
Guy & Rosy Lillian’s 2004 DUFF race website and 2005 DUFF race website.
Janice Gelb’s DUFF website covers the 2000 and 2001 DUFF Races.
Norman Cates DUFF website covers the 2009 DUFF Race.
Jean Weber’s and Eric Lindsay’s GUFF website.
Previous iterations of this website can be found at the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine.
This doesn’t have anything to do with Aussie Fan Funds, but if you want to purchase some good fanzines and help out a good fan check out this page.